Friday, February 16, 2007

Introduction and testimony

This blog is to address all things Christian, answer questions, and most importantly, spread the Gospel, bringing hope and salvation to all that will accept it.

In a nutshell, the God of the Bible, meaning the God of the Jews and specifically of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, is the one true God. There are no others, only counterfeits designed to lure the unwary in.

Religion is man's attempt to reach God. Jesus Christ was God's attempt to reach us. If you repent of your sins and believe and trust in God and his son, Jesus, the Holy Spirit will come upon you as God's gift and bring you true peace. And you will be spared the second death that occurs after you die...the eternal one.

Listen, I'm not anyone fancy. I'm a middle-class American woman, caught in the middle-class budget squeeze/debt trap, and I'm not a glamourous woman, although I am very athletic.

I am one of God's people, I am a daughter of the King, and I trust Him and follow Him, and I believe in His Word as written and translated in the Holy Bible. More on that later...

My testimony, or how I came to strong faith in the messiah, Jesus Christ:

I was born into a good, strong Christian family, but like many Baby Boomers, as soon as I got to be teen-aged, drinking and hell-raising and running around with the cool crowd became my passion...along with athletics.

And then I fell into homosexuality, becoming a lesbian for 15 years.

Then one night in late 1993, after a particularly miserable day with the woman I'd lived with for the last 7 years, I remember crying myself to sleep, alone, thinking, "Maybe I should just find a good man, get married, and settle down."

It wasn't even a prayer...just a thought. But it was enough.

In the following two months, I started noticing that I wasn't looking at other women the same way. In fact, I wasn't looking at them at all. I was looking at me!

Before you start nodding off, let me add that it wasn't all rosy after that. Even though my orientation changed effortlessly, without me even having to work at it, and even though I was never tempted by other women again, there was PLENTY of other sin that I still had in my life, and continued to have.

Unfortunately, since I'd been gay since my teen years, here I was in my early 30's, and I didn't really know how to act with men as an adult woman. So I ran around a lot, and was very loose.

I also continued to drink too much--and that is a sin I struggle with somewhat to this day. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of moderate drinking...unless you have a problem with it. If you can't dial it down to a truly moderate level, though, you really need to give it up. I haven't given it up because I've been successful at dialing it down to 7-8 drinks a week.

But I digress...

I was still caught up in sin even after my orientation changed. I went after a married man at work--unsuccessfully--and got myself accused of sexual harrassment. I'm deeply ashamed of this to this day, and I repent of it and am sorry for it.

Finally, the Lord freed me from all that running around, and I met my husband in 1996. Even so, I still struggled with the sins of selfishness, pride, greed and drunkenness. I'd like to think I've made some progress on that front, as well as on the sin of pridefulness, which is huge with me.

Which brings me to a major point: the existence of sin. It DOES exist, it is real, God describes what it is in the Bible. And Satan is very real, too.

Consider this: if you had an enemy you wanted to attack, wouldn't it be to your advantage to first convince them that you don't exist, and that none of your tools are real, either? One of Satan's greatest accomplishments is the convincing of large numbers of people that he doesn't exist and that there is no such thing as sin. Our permissive society has bought into this, and it is ruining us. More on that later...

And please don't think I'm holding myself up as perfect. I still struggle with sin...the only reason I don't run around more and sin more is because I'm pushing 50 and my energy and mobility isn't what it used to be. But I still struggle every day...as I know you do. We all do.

May God bless you and keep you!


No comments: